Hey, people of Tampa! Carlos Hernandez here with a brand-new Tampa Daily.
In this issue, you’ll learn about a goat rescue, local rooftop bars raising money for victims of Hurricane Ida, a new Asian food hall coming to Tampa, a Tampa woman featured on The Food Network, and more. Now, let’s get started.
First, today’s weather: Rain until evening. High: 86 Low: 76.
Here are the top stories in Tampa today:
1. Firefighters in Hudson rescued a goat from a 30-foot sinkhole on Sunday. It is the 6th sinkhole rescue this year from the High Springs Fire Department. The rescue operation took about 90 minutes. (Tampa Patch)
2. The Epicurean Hotel, Fenway Hotel, and The Karol Hotel have pledged to donate 50% of their rooftop bars sales to Hurricane Ida relief on September 2nd (tonight). The event is called “Raising the Roof for Hurricane Ida Relief”. (ABC Action News)
3. A new Asian food hall called Urban Hawkers plans to open the old location of Hall on Franklin in Tampa Heights that has been empty since last December. The concept says they want to get away from “Americanized” Asian food. They expect to open in late 2021 or early 2022. (Creative Loafing Tampa)
4. A Tampa woman is competing on “Guy’s Grocery Games” and just wrapped up shooting in San Francisco. Jane Vidal previously attended Chamberlain and Riverview high schools. In addition to the episode she is featured on, Vidal is planning a pop-up at Armature Works on September 4th. (WFLA)
5. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have made their final cuts from the preseason and training camp to a 53-man list for the 2021 regular season. This list will change as players who are on the NFL’s Reserve/COVID-19 List are eligible to play again. (Bucs Wire)
Send flowers today to someone you care about. Our partners at FTD are making that easier by offering Tampa Daily readers a 15 percent discount on orders through this link: Click here to make someone feel awesome.
Today in Tampa
- Tampa City Council Hybrid Live and Virtual Regular Agenda Meeting. (9:00 AM)
- Coffee Talk with Chambers of FL Healthcare | Virtual. (10:00 AM)
- Midtown Tampa Sunset Market. (6:00 PM)
- Ruskin Family Drive-In. (7:00 PM)
- TMA TMI Crit Group – Tampa Museum of Art. (7:00 PM)
- Dan Bakst Sings! (8:00 PM)
Tampa Patch Notebook
- Tampa Bay Rays: “The Rays extended the win streak to 9 after a strong finish to close out August!” (Facebook)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: “Introducing our new podcast, Booth Review First up, we’re talking quarterback fundamentals with QBs coach Clyde Christensen. Web: bccn.rs/3ytWr9v Apple Podcasts: bccn.rs/2WGun5t Spotify: bccn.rs/3yr6Z9u” (Facebook)
- Hillsborough County Public Schools: “Students, friends, families, community partners, and Alumni of Chamberlain High School and East Bay High School, this month, we are providing opportunities for you to join the conversation regarding Native American mascots in schools. Jo…” (Facebook)
- Hillsborough County Public Schools: “Feeling sick? Please stay home for your safety and the safety of others. Reminder, if your child is quarantined, visit our Quarantine Resource Center, which provides instructional guidance and resources for instructional continuity: http…” (Facebook)
- City of Tampa: “Did you know parts of our water/wastewater infrastructure are 70-100 years old PIPES is allowing our city to replace aging infrastructure to prevent water main breaks and strengthen Tampa’s foundation. Learn more at: tampa.gov/PIPES” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
You’re all caught up for today! See you all tomorrow for your next update. If you’re enjoying these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? I’m all ears. You can email me at [email protected]