If you’ve been achin’ for an adventure, this one’s got its benefits. First off, you don’t have to travel far and secondly, it involves dishes inspired by different areas of the country.
Kingfisher’s signature cross country culinary adventure is making its return this summer — after a year’s hiatus due to the pandemic — beginning Tuesday, June 1.
Kingfisher’s Road Trip is now in its 27th year, and if you’ve never been, the restaurant sees it as “one of the most enjoyable rites of summer in Tucson.”
The 2021 tour features classic cuisine from six distinct regions of the U.S. and begins right here in the Southwest. Stick around for the long haul, though, because, the road trip continues on into the Pacific Northwest, Great Plains, Midwest, Back East, California/Hawaii, and Down South.
In preparation for each “road trip,” chefs and owners Jim Murphy and Jeff Azersky, as well as executive chef Fred Harris, have been working together to design the different menus. Pastry chef Marianne Banes is crafting up desserts, too, so that the bites appropriate to each menu.
Also, you can’t forget about the Kingfisher bartending staff — providing the cocktails, wines, beers, and spirits that are representative of each stop along the way.
Take a glance at the menu for the “Southwest Road Trip.” which is happening from Tuesday, June 1 – Saturday, June 12.
Southwest Tour Dinner Menu
- Roasted Chile Verde Soup – with poblano, anaheim chiles, tomatillos, and white beans (V) ($7)
- Achiote Grilled Shrimp Bowl – with pinto beans, avocado, cucumbers, napa cabbage, chopped tomato, sage vinaigrette, spiced pumpkin seeds, and cotija cheese ($15)
- Grilled Pork Medallions, Red Mole – with avocado crema, roasted corn cakes, and grilled zucchini ($24)
- White Cornmeal and Crushed Walnut Crusted Catfish – with smoked tomato aioli, Texmati rice, and calabacitas ($22)
- Individual Tres Leches Cake – with fresh berries, caramel sauce, and whipped cream ($8.50)
Throughout the summer road trips, guests are offered punch cards to use as they enjoy the “ride.” When five dinner road trip entrees are purchased, the sixth one is free, and then at the end of the season, a special “Best of Road Trip” menu will feature guest favorites from the tour.
Kingfisher Summer Road Trip 2021 Schedule
- Southwest, June 1 – June 12
- Pacific Northwest, June 15 – June 26
- Great Plains Midwest, July 13 – July 24
- Back East, July 27- August 7
- California Hawaii, August 10 – August 21
- Down South, August 24 – September 4
Kingfisher’s dining areas and bar are open for limited seating by reservation only from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. for lunch, 4 – 9 p.m. for dinner, and from Tuesday – Saturday.
Kingfisher is located at 2564 E. Grant Rd. For more information and to make reservations, call (520) 323-7739 or visit kingfishertucson.com.